omitting -W, -Wall etc in configure

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: omitting -W, -Wall etc in configure
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:51:14 +0100

hi all,

currently, Octave's configure script automatically adds -Wall, -W and
-Wextra to the C++ flags. This works fine with gcc; however, with
Intel C++ it's not so nice:
-W and -Wextra are not supported, but ignored, so the configure
scripts detects them as "accepted" and adds them, which makes icpc
output a warning about ignored options after each source.
-Wall is even worse as it makes the Intel compiler dump out an
incredible number of warnings and remarks like "floating-point
equality comparisons are unreliable" or "operands evaluated in
unspecified order", which makes it impossible to inspect the progress
of the build process visually, because the screen is flooded.
I do not see, however, any built-in way to disable these flags in the
configure scrip (this is a purely production build, so I don't need
them at all).
Have I overlooked something? Perhaps we could add an option for that?

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer