Re: setting the editor on a mac doesn't work

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: setting the editor on a mac doesn't work
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 02:41:18 -0500

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Florian Schlenz wrote:

Hi there,

I use an Intel Mac with OSX 10.5.6 and Octave 3.0.3 and I want to set
the editor to use with octave as it doesn't come with a built in editor
on a mac.
I have tried to type several things in the octave terminal window:

edit editor "xedit %s &" (like it is written in the edit help)
edit editor "Aquamacs %s"

but nothing worked. I also have tried it with other editors that I
installed in my Applications folder. Octave.app is also in the
Applications folder by the way.

When I do this it seems alright but when I type "edit" oder  "edit
test.m", while "test.m" is in a folder on the path, nothing happens.
It looks like the Terminal is doing something and it won't react any
more if I try to type something else, but nothing happens, no editor
starts up...

Thanks

Flo

Flo,

The "edit editor ..." commands tell octave what editor to use to edit files. Octave will not open the editor until you type "edit myfile.m" (or some other file).

Assuming you already understand that; Are any messages/errors displayed after you type the two commands below?

        edit editor "xedit %s &"
        edit myfile.m

Ben