Re: decoding error message

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: decoding error message
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:19:11 -0500

On Feb 17, 2009, at 11:55 PM, asha g wrote:
--- On Wed, 18/2/09, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
2009/2/17 asha g <address@hidden>:
This is the message i get after running it on Octave
3.0

gnuplot: unable to open display ':0.0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

Are you sshed into the machine that is running gnuplot? If
so, are you
X-forwarding properly? Usually all you have to do is
something like
"ssh address@hidden -X" (notice it's
uppercase, not lowercase).

- Jordi G. H.

I am on the same machine that I normally use. So no sshing. I did use screen -L for my work as it runs for a long time. Could that be the problem ?

If it is, screen -L xterm will also have problems. Though I sometimes have long-lived X sessions and long-lived shells lose touch with each other.

VNC is a good suggestion.  If it's all local, you'd do
$ vncserver :42
$ vncviewer :42 &
$ DISPLAY=:42 screen -L octave

and you have a detachable octave process sending its graphics to a detachable X session.

Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Department of Physics and Astronomy