Re: Printing output of plot3 (including rotation)

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Printing output of plot3 (including rotation)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:51:16 -0500

activityworkshop wrote:
Hi,
I've been plotting 2d graphs using Octave and converting to postscript for Openoffice with the following: "print -deps output.eps" from the Octave console, and that works great. Now I want to do the same with 3d graphs, so from Octave I use plot3, I rotate the plot to how I want it (using the mouse in the gnuplot window), and then use the same print command from Octave - but it doesn't respect how I've rotated it, it just outputs the default orientation. I assume that only gnuplot knows about the rotation and Octave doesn't have a way to know.

So how do I get a postscript version of my 3d plot, is there a way to programmatically rotate the plot before sending it to gnuplot? Or any way to get the rotation information from gnuplot? Or print to eps from gnuplot?

I haven't got a gnuplot terminal to type commands into, just the graphical output. And I tried "replot" from the Octave console thinking that I might be able to set the terminal to eps from there, but replot didn't do anything. But I couldn't even manage to set the terminal to eps from octave anyway. Plus the plot3 is called from inside my .m file so I haven't even got access to the variables from the Octave console.

System: Mandriva linux, Octave 3.0.1, Gnuplot 4.2.2