use of convhulln to calculate total area and volume

From: Fred Touwslager
Subject: use of convhulln to calculate total area and volume
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:25:15 +0100

According to the documentation of qhull I should be able to compute the volume of a convex hull in 3 dimensions by using the option: s FA.
Using the qhull program in a Cygwin environment this works.

However, using convhulln(P,{"s","FA"}) in Octave gives me only the index vector to the points of the enclosing convex hull, and not the volume.

In MatLab the use is: [l v] = convhull(P);

But I'm not able to get this working in Octave 3.0.3 (under Windows XP).

Anybody any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Fred J. Touwslager