entering tide data

From: Brado
Subject: entering tide data
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:42:35 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some help to get me started on octave. Surely the
first steps are the hardest.

Here is my problem: I'd like to import data from a tide gauge. It's in the
following format:

date+time 006-pwl

it looks something like this in the file:

2007022+0000   0.229

the first group of numbers are date+time, the second the actual water level
measurement. How do I modify the appropriate command (load?) to import and
make sense of this data??

Thanks