Re: Finger trouble calling the X window.

From: Ivan Sutoris
Subject: Re: Finger trouble calling the X window.
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:42:47 +0100

...forgot to cc the mailing list before, so I'm sending again...

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Jan Reynders <address@hidden> wrote:
> I installed version 3.0.3 of Octave with Vista as the operating system.
> The installation was done from a current Cygwin mirror.
>
> I have no difficulty in calling the Cygwin window and can call Octave
> successfully. However, I need the X bash window if I am to be able to
> use the plotting commands. In the Cygwin implementation that I
> downloaded in July last year, the X window was called using startx in
> the X11R6 directory. In the current implementation, there is no startx
> and only run.exe in the X11R6 directory. Calling run from the Cygwin
> window gives the error message "could not start c:\cygwin\home\Jan" This
> refers to my home directory.
>
> I know that this is not strictly an Octave question, but it does inhibit
> my use of Octave. Any suggestions would be of great value.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Jan

I've been able to start Cygwin X server by running script
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat. It is also possible to plot
offscreen (without using X) by creating invisible figure (command
figure('visible','off')) and later printing to file (print
'myplot.eps').

There is also a native Windows version of Octave available at
octave.sourceforge.net, which does not need Cygwin.

Regards
Ivan Sutoris