Re: Hi

From: Martin Weiser
Subject: Re: Hi
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:00:09 +0100

Cituji Brendan Cusick <address@hidden>:

I'm sure I am doing something wrong.  I downloaded octave according to
instructions.  There is an octave icon on my desktop.  However, when i open,
all i get is a black prompt window.  Suggestions on how to get the program
started?

Thanks.
Brendan

Hi,
as JWE said, black prompt window is what you should get. But, if you feel really unfamiliar with it, try graphical user interface to Octave, named QtOctave (web search helps). I do not use it personally, but some friends of mine do and they look quite content. (I have a strong feeling that it is just a matter of a taste, as it does not provide anything more than the prompt does, but it is clickable). (I guess that it was Crawley who wrote in his book about S-plus something like: "Life is short. Use commandline.") But: be aware that lots of users here in this list do not use it, so if you ran into the trouble with the interface (not with the Octave itself), less people will be able to help you.
Anyway, enjoy Octave.
martin w.