Re: Forcing real eigenvalues with 'eigs'?

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Forcing real eigenvalues with 'eigs'?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:35:52 +0100

>Is it possible to force 'eigs' to produce real eigenvalues? I'm
>computing eigenvalues of a real symmetric matrix, but I'm still getting
>complex eigenvalues (numerical issues I guess), so it would be nice if I
>could force them into being real.

Have you looked at the numbers?  If the imaginary part is very small
compared to the real one, you can just discard it using real().  If not,
you may have stability problems.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040