Re: adaptive filtering

From: Julius Smith
Subject: Re: adaptive filtering
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:23:48 -0800

It sounds to me like you want an adaptive "moving average" filter that slides along and adjusts its length so as to include five or so spikes under the running convolution.  I would probably do this in two passes, the first pass logging where the spikes are, and the second pass applying the time-varying FIR smoothing filter. The Goetzel algorithm could provide an efficient varying FIR implementation for the "boxcar" case, especially in an .oct file. - jos

At 05:51 AM 1/21/2009, Andreas Romeyke wrote:
Hello,

Am Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:31:28 +0100
schrieb "frederic manseau" <address@hidden>:

> I would like to smooth the distribution of these PSTH using an
> "adaptive filter" (which I think should be centered on each time step
> and widened to capture something like 5-10 spikes)
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how to do that with Octave ?

Please have a look at http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/. Eeglab is a free
toolbox to handle such tasks. Please do not hesitate to ask your
question on the EEGLab-Mailinglist. a whole bunch of eeglab functions
are near compatible with Octave 3.xx (see Testsuite at
https://svnserv.cbs.mpg.de/eeglab/ for details).

Bye Andreas

--
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences