package arpack is not installed

From: aicha khabil
Subject: package arpack is not installed
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:51:33 +0100

Hi , i have a problems with my installation of octave-3.0.1 on ubunto 8.10

GNU Octave, version 3.0.1
Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i486-pc-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave-3.0.1:1>
octave-3.0.1:1> sudo apt-get autoclean
parse error:

  syntax error

>>> sudo apt-get autoclean
           ^

octave-3.0.1:1> sudo apt-get clean
parse error:

  syntax error

>>> sudo apt-get clean
           ^

octave-3.0.1:1> pkg load arpack
error: package arpack is not installed
error: evaluating if command near line 2010, column 7
error: evaluating for command near line 2008, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 1995, column 3
error: called from `pkg:load_packages' in file `/usr/share/octave/3.0.1/m/pkg/pkg.m'
error: evaluating switch command near line 269, column 3
error: called from `pkg' in file `/usr/share/octave/3.0.1/m/pkg/pkg.m'

Thanks a lot

aicha....
Bob Hope  - "I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance - waiting for the bathroom."