Mathlab code to run in Octave

From: frederic manseau
Subject: Mathlab code to run in Octave
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:21:19 +0100

Hi,

I am a new user of Octave with next to no experience in programming and I would like to have some advice as I am trying to use the following Matlab codes, which someone told me should work fine in Octave:

%generate 10000 gaussian random numbers

y=randn(10000,1);

% look at a histogram to see that they are in fact gaussian distributed

hist(y,100);

%plot the raw data trace;

plot (y)

generate a time series from 0 to 500 ms steping by 1 ms;

f=(1:500)/1000;

generate the alpha function

%0.003 = 3 ms;

tau=.003;

f1=exp(-f/.003).*f;

%plot the alpha function to make sure it looks like what you want

plot(f1)

now convolve the data set (y) with the alpha function (f1)

y1=conv(y,f1);

%open a new figure window

figure

%plot the new signal

plot(y1)

I have tried to run this several times but unfortunately I can’t get passed the command line number 7…

I have highlighted (in red) the parts of the code that seem to be causing the problem. I understand for instance that that the ‘%’ in line 5 is just to attribute the value 3ms to the time scale but I guess there must be an equivalent operator for % in Octave because this one clearly doesn’t work. I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Thank you very much!

Frederic Manseau (Ph.D.)

European Brain Research Institute

Via del Fosso di Fiorano 64/65