Re: compare the executive speed with Matlab

From: wim van hoydonck
Subject: Re: compare the executive speed with Matlab
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:50:15 +0100

On 1/3/09, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Sergei,

You are right, 'pi' was in the wrong place.

About the timing differences:
It might be that, due to optimizations, ifort already calculates the
result (the sinus of the angles) at compile time (as that is something
that can be calculated in advance), but I am not sure about that.

Anyway, the speed difference here is not that big, it becomes more
apparent with larger programs that contain multiple for/do loops.
I've seen a speed increase of 1000 between matlab and fortran on a
program that contained a double loop, from 25 minutes of calculation
time to 1.5 seconds...

But there are obviously also nontrivial problems where fortran
(gfortran, ifort,...) is not faster and even slower (see here:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/).

Greetings,

wim