V 3.0.3 Windows plotting problems

From: Allen.Windhorn
Subject: V 3.0.3 Windows plotting problems
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:38:18 -0600

I have been encountering a couple of quirks in the jhandles plotting in
Octave under Windows XP SP2:

1. When I plot a figure, the chart area appears normally, but if I click
on the figure to bring it to the foreground, the chart area disappears
(I just get a grey box).  I can make it come back by resizing the area.
It doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't found a way to make it
repeatable.  Switching back and forth between the console and figure
seems to provoke it -- the chart will appear for 1/2 second and then
vanish when I switch to the figure.  (Playing as I type...) switching to
this email and back to the figure restores it at the moment.

2. Plotting to "png" format on the particular plot I'm working with
produces an "isometric" view -- the chart is tilted 30 degrees to the
right (I can attach the PNG file if desired).  "PS" format works fine
but is harder to insert into documents.

Bonus question: is there a way to print the plot directly to a printer
in Windows?

help print
   `-PPRINTER'
         Set the PRINTER name to which the graph is sent if no
         FILENAME is specified.

---------
octave-3.0.3.exe:7> print -dps -PLPT1:
gl2psBeginPage: 0
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psLineWidth: 0.500000
gl2psEndPage: 0

Sends a print job to a network printer

Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x]
[-d] filename

     -S server    Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
     -P printer   Name of the print queue
     -C class     Job classification for use on the burst page
     -J job       Job name to print on the burst page
     -o option    Indicates type of the file (by default assumes a text
file)
                  Use "-o l" for binary (e.g. postscript) files
     -x           Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
     -d           Send data file first
---------

The last part seems to be produced by Octave trying to call lpr on my
system, maybe with the wrong parameters.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,
Allen
--
Allen Windhorn, P.E. (MN)  (507) 345-2782
Kato Engineering