Re: interactive plotting functionality

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: interactive plotting functionality
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:16:54 -0500

Are you sure gnuplot is using x11 and not Aquaterm? What do when you type the following at the octave prompt? ...

        getenv("GNUTERM")
        ans = aqua

Ben

On Dec 25, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Dan Mennitt wrote:

Ok, thanks for stepping through this with me.

"$gnuplot --version" returned "gnuplot 4.0 patchlevel 0" and "which gnuplot" returned "/usr/local/bin/gnuplot" which is my original installation. Macports installed a newer version of gnuplot (4.2) in opt/local/ which did not take precedence over the the first version. I removed both of these using rm. Also, was running octave 3.0.2 so I deleted that app from the applications folder and replaced it with 3.03 from your link. Also dragged the new Gnuplot app 4.2.3 from extras to the applications folder. Now, "which gnuplot" doesn't return anything. So everything should be alright, right? Well I can plot something with Octave, X11 fires up, and there are mouse coordinates in the corner of the plot but how do you zoom and rotate? clicking has no effect. . ?

DM

Ben Abbott wrote:
Did you download Octave 3.0.3?

   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=237839

For this version of Octave you'll need gnuplot 4.2.3 or greater. You likely have more than one gnuplot on your mac. When you downloaded the octave.app.dmp from sourceforge it contained an "Extras" folder which contains "gnuplot-4.2.3-i386/ppc.dmg". If you installed this there should be a gnuplot.app in your Applications folder.

Do you have a gnuplot in our Applications folder? and if so what is its version number?

My understanding is that when the octave bundle you have is run it will look to see if a gnuplot exists in the path and then look for the gnuplot bundle in your Applications folder.

To determine if there is another gnuplot in your path, open a terminal window and type "which gnuplot". What I get is below,

   $ which gnuplot
   /sw/bin/gnuplot

To determine the version of this gnuplot, type

   $ gnuplot --version
   gnuplot 4.3 patchlevel 0

Does "which gnuplot" return anything? ... if so, what version?

I'm running the developer's version of gnuplot which I built by adding a local package to the Fink package management system. You're results will be different.

I suspect you have more than one gnuplot installed and that one is version 4.0 and the other 4.2.

Once it is determined where the 4.0 version resides, I recommend you update or uninstall it.

Ben