Re: ~/.octaverc overwrites OCTAVE_PATH!!

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: ~/.octaverc overwrites OCTAVE_PATH!!
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:57:38 -0500

On Dec 21, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Rosen Diankov wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to append my own directory with octave files
(/usr/local/myoctavefiles) to the automatically set octave paths. At
first, I tried doing

export OCTAVE_PATH=/usr/local/myoctavefiles

but it didn't work since the auto-generated ~/.octaverc file (from
savepath) overwrites any added paths via the path function. Ie, the
~/.octaverc file looks like:

## Begin savepath auto-created section, do not edit
 path ('/usr/local/share/...',...)
## End savepath auto-created section

So the next obvious thing to do was to call
addpath('/usr/local/myoctavefiles') right after the '## End savepath
...', but this has a very dangerous side-effect. The problem is that
the next time the user calls 'savepath', it will put
/usr/local/myoctavefiles inside the auto-generated code. And even if I
remove my addpath or set OCTAVE_PATH to something different, my path
will remain added to the octave path!

So I propose a small savepath change that always puts
getenv('OCTAVE_PATH') inside the auto-generated code.
It would be great if this makes it into octave 3.0.4

thank you,
rosen diankov

If I understand you correctly you'd like to be able to dynamically add a specific path when octave is run. Have you looked at the command line options. For example,

        octave --path "/usr/local/myoctavefiles"

Other command line options are detailed at the link below.

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Command-Line-Options.html#Command-Line-Options

Ben