Re: Sparse Eigenvalues

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Sparse Eigenvalues
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:41:03 -0500

On Dec 20, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

2008/12/20 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
On 20-Dec-2008, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

| more than 45-50 minutes on single node machine, which is not competitive to
| other
| graph partitioning methods such as METIS.

METIS is distributed under terms that are incompatible with the GPL,
so it can't be used with Octave.

What are the distribution terms, btw? I can't find them. It's in
Debian's contrib, and the source tarball doesn't seem to have a clear
copyright statement other than saying it's copyrighted by the regents
of the university of Minnesota. There's a statement on the webpage
indicating some restrictions on commercial use. It also seems to be
supported by the US military, which I thought meant no copyright.

Do they have an actual copyright statement at all?

I wonder if we could convince them to change the terms...

- Jordi G. H.

The license is included with the sources

        http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/metis/download

Copyright Notice
----------------

The METIS package is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of
Minnesota. It can be freely used for educational and research purposes
by non-profit institutions and US government agencies only. Other
organizations are allowed to use METIS only for evaluation purposes,
and any further uses will require prior approval. The software
may not be sold or redistributed without prior approval. One may
make copies of the software for their use provided that the copies,
are not sold or distributed, are used under the same terms and
conditions.

As unestablished research software, this code is provided on an
``as is'' basis without warranty of any kind, either expressed or
implied. The downloading, or executing any part of this software
constitutes an implicit agreement to these terms. These terms and
conditions are subject to change at any time without prior notice.

I'm not an expert, but there appears to be GPL'd options. For example ...

        http://www.sandia.gov/~bahendr/chaco.html

Ben