Re: Octave and live capturing camera

From: Xavier Delacour
Subject: Re: Octave and live capturing camera
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:49:59 -0500

Yes, OpenCV can be used to read live video. However, as of now there
are no binary packages for the bindings (yet)-- you have to build them
yourself from OpenCV CVS. Roughly,

cd opencv-cvs-dir
./configure --with-octave
make
make install

should yield a tarball under the prefix/install directory that you can
issue pkg install on.

As Soren mentioned, if you run octave-based image processing routines
they will be slower and maybe problematic for processing all frames.
Rewriting small fragments in C/C++ and keeping the control logic in
high level generally works well. Also, OpenCV provides a decent subset
of the routines provided in the Octave image package.

Xavier