Re: 3.0.3 Startup problem OS X 10.4.11, PPC

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: 3.0.3 Startup problem OS X 10.4.11, PPC
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:32:24 +0100

Equiton schrieb:
I typed in the lline as put, and all I get as output is

illegal instruction

No other output

Then it's exactly what I was thinking of. We had a discussion somewhen between the releases of Octave.app 2.9.14 and 2.9.16. Octave.app 2.9.14 and prior were very very slow in comparison to other Octave binaries that were available for Mac. Then I was playing with a lot of optimization flags for compilation and finally I was able to make the binary work fast again.

This now means that you won't have any chance to make Octave.app 3.0.3 make run on your Mac G3 anymore because there is some machine code in the binary that is optimized for G4 and G5 only - which produces on your G3 'illegal instruction'. I'm really very *sorry* but the development of things always goes on and requires more modern hardware and software libraries from time to time.

I also won't spent the time to backport future releases of Octave.app for G3.

Regards,

  Thomas