Re: Octave

From: Robert Fong-tom
Subject: Re: Octave
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:46:22 -0500

On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

On Nov 22, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

Hi,
I recently ported Octave successfully but there are some things which I don't understand. My understanding is that Aquaterm is a dependency
of octave and that it would be installed as a part of theh Octave
port. In fact, when I tried to port Octave the first time it failed
because I had Aquaterm installed previously. After deleting Aquaterm
(and all files relating to it) manually, the porting of Octave was
successful. However, I don't seem to be able to call Aquaterm. A
number of files relating to Aquaterm was ported along with Octave
however. Right now I am plotting via X11 but would like to switch to
plotting via Aquaterm since it produces better looking plots.
Bob

in your .profile, .bashrc, .xinitrc or what ever shell startup script you are using, be sure that GNUTERM is set to "aqua"

        set GNUTERM=aqua

Ben

I tried the following:

In .bashrc:
        export GNUTERM=aqua

and in .profile

        # Make aqua the default
        export GNUTERM=aqua

        ##
# Your previous /Users/robert/.profile file was backed up as / Users/robert/.profile.macports-saved_2008-11-20_at_19:39:45
        ##

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
        export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an appropriate DISPLAY variable for use with MacPorts.
        export DISPLAY=:0
# Finished adapting your DISPLAY environment variable for use with MacPorts.

When I try to plot in Octave I get the following message:

        Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'aqua'

Then a long list of invalid gnuplot commands

Bob

That is a gnuplot error. Did you install gnuplot from macports as well or is it a pre-existing installation (as was aquaterm)?

In any event, check the version of gnuplot you are running. You can do that by typing "gnuplot --version" in a terminal widow. Just to be sure, you might want to type "system ('gnuplot --version')" at the octave prompt as well.

I'm running the developers version of gnuplot and get the following from the Terminal window

        $ gnuplot --version
        gnuplot 4.3 patchlevel 0

I get:   gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 3

A version > 4.2.2 shoud work fine.

You should also verify it is installed via MacPorts. So type "which gnuplot" in a terminal window. Mine is installed via Fink, so I get the following.

        $ which gnuplot
        /sw/bin/gnuplot

I get:      /opt/local/bin/gnuplot

I think this is OK since macorts put everything in /opt/local

Ben

Maybe I should uninstall gnuplot and port it via macports, especially since my gnuplot is a rev behind.