Re: plotting in Octave

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: plotting in Octave
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:23:32 +0000

On 22/nov/08, at 05:29, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

I finally was successful in porting Octave via macports and all seems
to be well. However, now I can't plot. The error I get is:

gnuplot: unable to open display ':0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

I had this problem before when I had installed Octave via the binary
dmg file at SourceForge, and as far as I can tell the .profile, shown
below, file is correct. Any thoughts?

# Make X11 the default
export GNUTERM=x11
robert-fong-toms-computer:~ robert$ cat .profile
# Make X11 the default
export GNUTERM=x11

##
# Your previous /Users/robert/.profile file was backed up as /Users/
robert/.profile.macports-saved_2008-11-20_at_19:39:45
##

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an
appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with
MacPorts.

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an
appropriate DISPLAY variable for use with MacPorts.
export DISPLAY=:0
# Finished adapting your DISPLAY environment variable for use with
MacPorts.

Bob

Bob,
In versions of OSX prior to 10.5 you need to manually start the X server before any client can access it. You can launch X11 by double clicking the X11.app icon which is located either in /Applications or in /Applications/Utilities.
Once you have started X11 try plotting again
c.