Re: clustering

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: clustering
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:11:50 +0100

>I finally got down to completely rewriting the clustering functions
>pdist.m and linkage.m in the statistics package.  They should be now
>completely compatible with Matlab's.  If you want to use them now, they
>are compatible with Octave 3.0.  You can download them from
>
> <http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/main/statistics/inst/>

I should mention that, to have a usable set of hyerarchical clustering
functions in the statistical package, one needs at least inconsistent.m,
cluster.m and clusterdata.m, too.

Unfortunately, while studying clustering and implementing pdist.m and
linkage.m, I came to the conclusion that clustering is not the way to go
for the problem I am working on now, so I fear I will not implement
those additional functions :(

However, I hope that having working pdist.m and linkage.m will encourage
someone else to proceed.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040