Piping data into Octave

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Piping data into Octave
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:19:09 +0100

Dear all

Here's my situation: I need to communicate between Octave and a shell command. The shell command takes input data from a text file, processes this data, and sends the result to stdout. I use Octave's system(...) command to do this. I send the output to a text file using a pipe. Then, the result data is loaded into Octave by reading the contents from disk.

The proplem: If the data becomes too large, the above procedure becomes slow. I guess this could be sped up by omitting the data transfer through the output file on disk. Can this be done by piping the data from the external program directly back into Octave? If so: how? Will this work on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X?

Matthias