Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 32, Issue 40

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 32, Issue 40
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:29:20 -0700

On 11/19/08 address@hidden wrote:
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:06:01 -0500 From: Ben Abbott
<address@hidden> Subject: Re: Image package To: Robert Fong-tom
<address@hidden> Cc: address@hidden, octave
<address@hidden> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes On Nov 19,
2008, at 10:22 AM, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Nov 19, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Robert Fong-tom
<address@hidden> wrote:

Hi, Does anyone know if there is an Octave Image package
binary for Mac OS X 10.4 ? I searched for this but could
only find a binary for OS X 10.5.

I tried porting the Image package using MacPorts, but was
 unsuccessful. Kept getting errors that I did not
understand and the MacPorts  help blog did not clear up
my confusion. I did not try Fik but after my experience
with MacPorts, I am reluctant to waste another week! Bob

The image package using a Fink install does lack some
functionality.

What commands did you have trouble with?

Ben

I am primarily interested in reading jpg, tiff and png files; displaying them; and writing image matrices to files of these formats. Let me give you some background. I am looking for a math
 tool to analyze images, and to study effects of various
components (i.e telescope, optical filters and image processing
filters, etc) on the image. I looked into using Scilab and
although this math package is very good, it does not support OS
X. I know MatLab but their price is way beyond my means. Octave
seems to be a good alternative but I am having some difficulty
getting the basic functionality I need. I have worked through
most problems but getting the image package for OS X 10.4 is
proving to be a challenge for me primarily because I do not have
a software background.

Please reply-all so that others can also benefit. Also notice I've copied the octave-forge list.

While I've used the image package in the past, but I noticed image-1.0.5 was no longer functioning correctly for me (octave-3.0.3
 on OSX 10.5.5), so I uninstalled image-1.0.5 and attempted to
install the more recent image-1.0.8, which failed.

I am using MacPorts on Mac OS X 10.4.11. The image package installs and works fine as best as I can tell, although I use only one or two of the provided functions. In macports the package name is "octave-image" and it is currently at version 1.0.6.

HTH,
Jonathan