Re: Octave suddenly slow

From: Scott A. McDermott
Subject: Re: Octave suddenly slow
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:32:46 -0500

Michael Goffioul, kudos sir, you came the closest:
> Sometimes, this kind of problem is triggered by having a large
> number of m-files in the current directory. But it does not look
> to be the case for you.

Ends up that it's a large number of /any/ file in the current directory
induces this problem.  Pretty amazing --- even an operation that has
absolutely nothing to do with files (like "for x=1:100,x,end") sits
there for second after second before starting up, if there are a large
number of files in the current directory.  (My accidental "test case"
had just over 8000 data files.)

So, heads up.  And thanks again to all who put brain cells on this problem.

Best ---
--Scott