bring back gset

From: Ethan Tira-Thompson
Subject: bring back gset
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:13:39 -0500

Just my 2¢ on the gset -> __gnuplot_set__ -> obsolete transition: I disagree strongly.

My understanding from other postings is that octave aims to be Matlab compatible, but I see no reason to restrict everyone to Matlab's feature set. I don't care about Matlab compatability, I want to be able to directly tweak my gnuplot output. I understand others do want Matlab compatibility, but they can simply avoid using 'gset'.

Perhaps the better way to do this instead of writing off opportunities for innovation within octave, is to create an environment setting 'MATLAB_STRICT' or some such, which if set, displays an error/warning if non-matlab commands are encountered, but if unset doesn't worry about it.

You could go a step further with this and use the setting as a matlab version number, so users could even track if they use a feature unavailable in the specific version of matlab of concern.

Thanks!
  -Ethan