Re: Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:05:56 +0000

On 13/nov/08, at 21:37, Dotan Cohen wrote:

I am taking a numerical analysis course at my university. We have been
recommended to use Matlab. Is Octave considered a viable alternative
for a university course? I understand that Octave is _mostly_ Matlab
compatible but I am not familiar enough with either Matlab or Octave
to make an informed decision.

I have been teaching courses in numerical analysis where lab excercises were done with Matlab. For those students tht wanted to repeat the excercises at home I have often recomended Octave. The only differences the students have ever found were with the plotting functions but those differences have been significantly reduced in more recent versions of Octave. BTW I am aware of at least one textbook [1] in elementary numerical analysis containig examples and excercise that are explicitely intended to work with both matlab and Octave.

c.

[1] Scientific Computing with MATLAB and Octave
Quarteroni, Alfio, Saleri, Fausto
Springer Verlag, Series: Texts in Computational Science and Engineering , Vol. 2