Re: Octave.app 3.0.3 for Mac OS X

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Octave.app 3.0.3 for Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:48:58 +0100

Mark McClure schrieb:
Thomas Treichl wrote:
 > I removed this paragraph from the source file. Since you read the
 > Readme.html file, have you found anything else being wrong?

As I look at it again, there are few other small related things.  First, the
Symbolic and GSL packages are mistakenly treated in the same way as
the Arpack package; i.e. the limitations sections indicates that neither
can be installed, but explicit instructions for doing so are given later.
(I haven't actually tried those installations though.)
Second, under the section titled "Do I have to rebuild installed packages
if I move Octave.app to another place?", it states that you need to
re-install packages, if you install a new version of Octave.  That has not
been my experience.  My packages are installed in the directory
~/octave, quite separate from my Octave.app directory.  Thus, when I
just installed Octave 3.0.3, deleting Octave 3.0.0, my already installed
packages worked just fine.

Finally, the package installation directions are all version specific.
For example, the Arpack directions indicate that the following line
should be typed:
'pkg install arpack-1.0.2.tar.gz'
The current version is 1.0.6, however.  Perhaps, a wildcard would be
better.

I made some necessary changes for this and checked them in - available for the next Octave.app release. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

  Thomas