call octave from a fortran program

From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Subject: call octave from a fortran program
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:49:25 -0400

Is it possible to call octave from a fortran 90 program? In particular I
want to

evaluate the eigen vectors, eigen values --- eig function
evaluate generalized eigen values --- qz function

for a given matrix from a fortran program.

The reason is that, I have been using IMSL version 3 to evaluate eigen
values, eigen vectors of a function.
Let's say I evaluate

A = V * lambda * inv(V)

For my particular choice of A,  If I evaluate V from octave, the matrix V is
well conditioned. cond(V) is of the order of 10 and is independent of the
size of A.

If I evaluate V from IMSL, the matrix V is not so well conditioned. cond(V)
is of the order of 10^3. Moreover, the cond(V) is a function of the size of
A.

Is there a quick way to call octave functions from fortran?
Any suggestions?

thanks
raju
--