Re: fitting 2d normal distribution

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: fitting 2d normal distribution
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:59:44 +0200

tor, 23 10 2008 kl. 11:46 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On 23-Oct-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | P.S. Plotting ellipses is such a standard operation that I think we
> | should have this function somewhere. In core Octave? If not, any
> | suggestions to which package we should put it?
>
> I suppose it could go in Octave with the other plotting functions, and
> we could modify it to make the full plot (with major/minor axes and
> bounding box) if nargout is zero.

Personally, I find the bounding box somewhat redundant, but I guess
that's a matter of taste. The attached version extends the
documentation, and adds a demonstration, plus some minor code changes to
plot the ellipses if less than two outputs are requested (if one is
requested a handle is returned).

The attached version only plots the ellipse, and its major/minor axes,
because that's what I prefer. But as I said that's really a matter of
taste, so there should probably be some way of changing what
specifically is plotted. I'm just not sure what the best API for doing
this might be. Suggestions are more than welcome...

Søren