Re: Old versions not available at forge

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Old versions not available at forge
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:01:56 -0400

On 17-Oct-2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| Btw, this is probably unfeasible. Octave has been around for many
| years and has made many frequent releases throughout the years. I am
| fairly certain many of the older versions are lost.

They are not lost forever though they may be hard to find.  But
really, how far back do you want to go?  The source files for all 74
2.1.x snapshots, all 20 2.0.x snapshots, all 4 3.0.x releases, and
both 3.1.x snapshots are all available at ftp.octave.org.  That's 100
releases going back more than a decade (version 2.1.0 was released on
June 5 1997).  What more do you want?

I also have 1.0, 1.1.x, and 2.0.x tarballs, but I'm not making them
publicly available.  I doubt you could compile any of the 1.0 or 1.1.x
or maybe even some of the 2.0.x releases with a modern C++ compiler.

| It's also not very recommended to use older versions of Octave, but
| you are of course free to ignore this recommendation.

Yes, and also remember that obsolete versions are completely
unsupported, at least as far as I'm concerned.

jwe