Re: Element by element operation and multicore.

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Element by element operation and multicore.
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:32:00 +0200

Marcin M Kostur wrote:
> Dear Octavers,
>
> I have just compiled octave with intel math mkl library. In most od
> operations which use
> BLAS/LAPACK the speedup on 8-way xeon is immense (from 3x (eig) up to 20x).
>    BTW ./configure line is, as usually, magic to be guessed.
>
> Anyways, there is a bunch of operations which are unaffected like element by
> element A.*A , sin(A) etc.
> (well they are not BLAS bases)
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) How do i know which operator/function uses which library. A*A uses mkl
> blas for sure A.*A not, but
> is the a list od implementation scheme? If not - i would apreciate tip how
> to find it in the source.
>
> 2) A.*A, sin(A) could perfectly use multicore archiutectude. All calls are
> independent.
> Is anybody working on this, or maybe it is done but requires some
> compiie-time flags i forgot?
>

> The best
>
> Marcin

Marcin,

I'm the main author of a toolbox for acoustic wave field simulations
which uses this kind of parallelization.  The sources are available here:

    http://www.signal.uu.se/Toolbox/dream/

Look at the code for any of the  *_p  functions, for example, conv_p.
You should be able, without too much effort, to adapt  it for your needs
and then build the oct-file with mkoctfile.

/Fredrik