Re: Adding Greek Characters To Plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Adding Greek Characters To Plots
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:39:45 -0400

On 15-Oct-2008, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Wednesday, October 15, 2008, at 12:03PM, "Thomas Markovich"
<address@hidden> wrote:
| >Hi,
| >
| >So I have a few different parts of the various plots that I am trying
| >label with greek characters. The first is, I would like my tick marks
| >to be at every pi/2 but obviously, I would like the pi symbol. I have
| >found the command set(gca,'xtick',-2*pi:pi/2:2*pi) and
| >set(gca,'XTickLabel',{'-pi','-pi/2','0','pi/2','pi'})
| >, however this only gives the numbers and no symbols.
| >
| >Also, I would like to set an axis label for Y that is f(phi) and for
| >X, phi. Additionally, I would like to label my graphs with V(phi) for
| >one and \Psi_{1+} for the other. I have found the command
| >xlabel()
| >ylabel() But I can't figure out this one either.
| >
| >Regards,
| >
| >Thomas Markovich
| >address@hidden
|
| To do this in Matlab
|
|   set (gca, 'fontname', 'symbol')
|
| My octave does not support that behavior which may be a problem local to my
computer (?).

The following works for me with the current development sources:

  axis ([-pi, pi, 0, 1]);
  set (gca, 'fontname', 'symbol')
  set (gca, 'xtick', [-pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2, pi])
  set (gca, 'xticklabel', {'-p', '-p/2', '0', 'p/2', 'p'})

and I think this is compatible behavior.  However, it does not seem
like a good general solution to me as I don't see how you would mix
symbol and non-symbol 'p' this way.  Also, shouldn't we be able to use
TeX notation in the tick labels to avoid that problem?  That doesn't
work for me.

jwe