Re: Installing ARPACK on a Mac

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Installing ARPACK on a Mac
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:01:15 -0400

On Oct 13, 2008, at 4:23 AM, Boaz Ilan wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know how to install ARPACK on an Mac?
I need eigs (sparse eigenvalue solver) from ARPACK.
I have a Mac G5/Tiger with Xcode 2.5 (gcc-4.0).
I used fink to compile octave 3.0.2.

I downloaded ARPACK from octave-forge and edited ARmake.inc accordingly.
I did not change UTIL/second.f -- is that really necessary?
'make lib' executes fine and libarpack_OSX.a is created - so far so
good :-)
Now what do I need to do to get eigs?

Boaz

Boaz,

There are some insructions for installing ARPACK on Mac OSX at the like below. I haven't tried to install arpack myself, but the info there should be helpful.

        http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~spk/macosx_install.html

I believe you are already using the Fink package manager, correct? So, a nice solution would be to create a local package for arpack. Please let me know if you are willing to give that a try. If so I can help you get started. Once you are successful it can be submitted to the Fink team to be included for the benefit of other Mac users.

Ben