Re: eigs using SuiteSparse

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: eigs using SuiteSparse
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:53:33 +0100

Ilan Boaz wrote:

You mean suitesparse should override the default commands?
So with suitesparse, which commands provide the rapid qr and mldivide?
Does suitesparse provide klu (a rapid lu) as well?

Octave is currently using cxsparse for the sparse QR and over-determined, under-determined and rank-deficient solvers, though I don't think I'd call their use as an "override" of these functions. We should use the new QR code in SuiteSparse instead due to the massive speed improvements in this code.

As for klu, we can not use it. KLU is for a particular class of matrices which arises in circuit simulations, and it makes use of the matrix structure of this class of problem. It is not a general LU solver, and so it can't be used by Octave for the commands requiring an LU decomposition as Octave can not make the assumptions that KLU does.

Regards
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)