Include Fortran Code which Returns Arrays of Dynamic/Unknown Size

From: Marco2008
Subject: Include Fortran Code which Returns Arrays of Dynamic/Unknown Size
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:38:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

I would like to use some fortran subroutines from within octave. With the
documentation from the octave-homepage it works fine with an example of the
form:

octave_value_list retval;
Matrix M1 = Matrix(4,3);
F77_XFCN (function, FUNCTION, ( M1.fortran_vec() ) );
retval(0) = M1;

Here, I the size of the matrix M1 is fixed. But in some cases I do not know
before the call of the fortran subroutine what size the return value M1 has
because this size is computed inside the fortran subroutine. I tried
something like

octave_value_list retval;
Matrix M1;
F77_XFCN (function, FUNCTION, ( M1.fortran_vec() );
retval(0) = M1;

but it does not work. Therefor, I would like to know if and possibly how
that can be realized.
It should be possible by defining a very large matrix M1 in the c++-wrapper
and return additionally the actually needed size from the fortran subroutine
by an integer variable. The return value M1 then has to be resized.
But I would like to avoid this solution, because you never know what "very
large" means.

If someone had an idea, I would be very glad.

Thanks,
Marco