Where is "colororder" defined?

From: Samarkand
Subject: Where is "colororder" defined?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 01:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

When trying to use the plot command in Octave I get the following error:

warning: get: invalid property `colororder'
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 33, column 22
error: evaluating if command near line 32, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 31, column 3
error: called from `__next_line_color__' in file
`/usr/share/octave/3.0.0/m/plot/__next_line_color__.m'
error: evaluating if command near line 27, column 3
error: called from `newplot' in file
`/usr/share/octave/3.0.0/m/plot/newplot.m'
error: called from `plot' in file `/usr/share/octave/3.0.0/m/plot/plot.m'

Octave 3.0.0 (same with 3.0.2 rc2 etc)
gnuplot 4.2.2-1
O/S is Fedora 8

The only way to get this to work is to start octave from the:
/usr/local/share/octave/3.0.3/m/plot/ directory. In that case it works fine.
Starting it from any other directory causes the above failure.

Can anyone please tell me how/where colororder is defined and set up? It is
declared an invalid property
if I start octave from any other directory!

Any ideas as to what I might do/try?

Many thanks