"LGPL API" (was: Re: Private company and code salvation)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: "LGPL API" (was: Re: Private company and code salvation)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:14:23 -0400

On 29-Sep-2008, David Bateman wrote:

| Acceptance is subject to the degree to which community members believe
| the GPL should be the license to all software. However, the harder
| question is "how can you have an LGPL, or other license, to a set of
| libraries using the GPL?"

I don't think you can.  Once you link some code licensed under the
LGPL with some other code licensed under the GPL, you must distribute
the result under the terms of the GPL.  So it is not possible to avoid
the terms of the GPL by simply inserting an interface covered by the
LGPL between non-free code and code covered by the GPL.

jwe