Re: Plotting with Octave 3.0

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Plotting with Octave 3.0
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:18:43 +0200

Matthias Brennwald wrote:

On 26.09.2008, at 09:27, David Bateman wrote:

Matthias Brennwald wrote:
On 26.09.2008, at 00:23, address@hidden wrote:

| It seems that
| html manual at www.octave.org is outdated (but I'm not Octave
| developer, just user, so I don't know why is that).

Because there are many things to do and not enough users who are also
helping out as developers?

jwe

True. But I have the impression it is not obvious for most useres how to contribute code or improved documentation in a way that will be useful and acceptable to the 'inner circle' of Octave developers. Maybe a short document 'Contributing to Octave for dummies' would be useful. Or, if such a thing exists already, moving this to a prominent place would be in order.

Thinking of it, I might be open to contribute to the documentation a bit. I guess the plotting stuff is one area that really needs improvement. But how do I go about this?

Such a document was recently added to the manual so I suppose it will end up on the website eventually. For now the raw text is at

http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/octave/file/a8fb37ae61b8/doc/interpreter/contrib.txi

D.

Thanks, this is very useful!

As far as I can tell, though, there is hardly any information on how to work on the manual itself. Would it make sense to include this information, too?

Well the manual itself is a set of files like any other in the HG repository, so that same notes apply. Look in the the doc/interpreter/*.txi files in the repository.

Also, according to the document you mentioned, people are expected to know diff, texinfo, and mercurial. I am sure that most Octave users who would agree to submit their stuff are not used to working with these tools, so they won't submit their work. Is there a way to get around this? If so, this should be explained in the above document, too.
diff you don't really need to understand. If you are modifying the manual then yes you do need some basic understanding of texinfo, and the conventions that are used in Octave for the use of texinfo. Some of that is explained in

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Documentation-Tips.html#Documentation-Tips

As for mercurial, you have to understand the concepts of an SCM system in general and then just a few basic commands

## Only need to do the clone once
hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

cd octave/doc/interpreter
<edit doc files>
cd ..
<edit Changelog>
cd ..
hg commit -u "A. User <address@hidden>" -m "Modified foobar documentation"
hg export tip > ../MyChangeset
## Mail MyChangeset to the octave lists with an explanation

## If there are changes in the Octave repository
hg pull
hg merge tip
hg commit -m "merge"
## Might need to resolve conflicts here mainly in the Changelogs

and that is about all I ever use.

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary