Re: Gaussian fit of a peak

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Gaussian fit of a peak
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:56:01 -0400

Hi,

Over the summer I wrote some code that finds derivatives for fitting exponential and gaussian distributed data with leasqr. I have just stuck this up on the web at
        http://sns.phys.utk.edu/~mahurin/octave/

So Andrea, if your [x,y] data look like they have a peak at x=0, y=1 and a width of about 2, you could say
        [f, p] = multigaus_fit(x,y,[1 0 2]);
and p will contain a best-fit [mean, amplitude, width]. You can get other diagnostics from the leasqr fit, too.

I'm willing to contribute these scripts to octave-forge, if that's appropriate.

Cheers,
Rob