Re: quadl crashes on evaluation

From: rmcd
Subject: Re: quadl crashes on evaluation
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:57:59 -0700 (PDT)

Ben Abbott wrote:

> When you say "crash" what do you get, exactly?
>
> I get the following errors repeated many times
>
> error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 169, column 3
>
> If your function is modified
>
>       f(x) = x .* sin (1 ./ (x+eps)) .* sqrt (abs (1 - x));
>
> and an integration tolerance is added
>
>       v = quadl ('f' ,0, 3,. 0001)
>       v =  1.9818
>
> If any event, please describe what you mean by "crash".

Sorry for being unclear. By "crash" I mean that when I invoke quadl, octave
exits with no error message and leaves me at the bash prompt (this is what I
tried to describe at the start of my message). Presumably this should not
happen. Under Ubuntu with 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 I just get the error messages, so
this seems like a cygwin-specific bug.

Your suggestions to add eps to the function and a tolerance to quadl work
even under cygwin, thanks very much.