Re: Gaussian fit of a peak

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Gaussian fit of a peak
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:55:45 -0400

On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Andrea Cimatoribus wrote:

In matlab, I used function "fit". Data are intensity as a function of
energy. Of course, you can think it as an histogram of event number as
a function of energy.
Andrea

2008/9/17 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:

On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 10:20AM, "Andrea Cimatoribus" <address@hidden > wrote:
Hi everybody,
I am an absolute novice of octave, even though I have some experience
with matlab.
Just to get the feeling of octave, I am presently translating a simple
(but very useful to me) script, that basically sums data with a peak
structure. In order to do this properly, I need to centre each new
spectrum on the zero, that is the peak maximum. My strategy, in
matlab, was to make a preliminary gaussian fit, whose result was to be
confirmed through a graphical input, to get the "zero" of the
spectrum. As of now, I am trying to understand how can I make a
gaussian fit of the data in octave. Data is simply organised as a
matrix [x,y]. Is there a built function? Sorry but I can't find
anything with online help.
Andrea

How did you do it in Matlab?

If the data is statistical, then I'd recommend you calculate the median and standard deviation and construct the gaussian distribution from that.

By "sums data with a peak structure" do you mean you are constructing a histogram?

"fit" is part of the curefit toolbox, correct?

In any event, there is a package available from MathWorks File Exchange called "fit" I thought would work, but Octave's fminsearch has some trouble with it. If you'd like to track down the specifics ...

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=8468

You'll need Octave's optimization package

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/optimization.html

Ben