Spyware in Octave

From: Thomas L. Scofield
Subject: Spyware in Octave
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:35:08 -0400

My student was willing to reinstall Octave and see what report his "System Mechanic" software gave.  His note is included below.  In the end, I'm not sure he had to re-install to get this information, as one reading of what he says would be that some log of the earlier report was still in existence.

Anyway, we seem to have two very different reports from two of my students.  The report below corresponds to the student who raised the initial alarm.  The other student---the one who ran Symantec and found and flagged a cookie---did these things after the first student raised an alarm.  He offered no explanation for why he thinks that cookie was tied to the Octave binary (Did the cookie get created at the same time he did his installation?  Do cookies have timestamps at all?---I'm pretty naive about this).  Without knowing more, I remain doubtful about a connection.

Is there some way to check out these two "sed.exe" files?

Thomas

Begin forwarded message: