Using dateaxis to format x-axis

From: Robert McDonald
Subject: Using dateaxis to format x-axis
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:51:14 -0500

I must be misunderstanding the use of Dateaxis (in the financial package). I'm using 3.0.2, Cygwin.

I run this:

x=732000:732010;
plot(x,x);
dateaxis("x"); % I get the same result with and without "x".
ticks=get(gca(), "xtick") % this is a diagnostic, returning [](0x0)

The plot is unchanged by the dateaxis command and I get these errors:

error: invalid matrix index = 1
error: evaluating binary operator `-' near line 94, column 17
error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 94, column 28
error: evaluating assignment _expression_ near line 94, column 9
error: called from `dateaxis' in file `/usr/share/octave/packages/
financial-0.2.2/dateaxis.m'

Ticks has a value of [](0x0), which I gather is due to the auto-mode tick assignment. I think the call to "ticks(1)" generates the first error.

Thanks very much for any help.

Bob