Spyware in Octave

From: Thomas L. Scofield
Subject: Spyware in Octave
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:05:25 -0400

Well, this is not the action Przemek Klosowski indicated would be "the only way to know for sure"---I don't know if the student who originally reported the problem is willing to do anything more with Octave or not.  But my students do talk to one another.  Here is a report from another student in the class who tried to investigate it himself.  I don't know anything about Spyware.  Is deleting a cookie a possible fix?

Now that I have two people claiming there is an issue (though I don't know for sure it's the same issue), I'm wondering whether the existence of Spyware in that one binary (if it's there at all) might raise concern over its presence in others.  Could it be in Mac binaries as well?

Begin forwarded message:

I created a custom scan through Symantec (everyone should have this through
the school).  I had Symantec scan only c:\program files\octave
And it found the cookie in about two minutes.  I ran spybot first and it did
not find it.
I just thought you all might want to know how to get rid of it.  This way is
pretty quick and easy.

Drew Griffioen

Thomas L. Scofield
Associate Professor