Octave plot on time/date x-axis

From: djacobson
Subject: Octave plot on time/date x-axis
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:39:42 -0700 (PDT)

I have searched extensively but I have hit a wall in all directions.  Please
help!

I would like to plot a data set that has dates and time in the x-axis. I
have found the following code, but when I enter it i get a parse error:
syntax error.

 __gnuplot_set xdata time
 __gnuplot_set timefmt "%d/%m"
 __gnuplot_set format x "%b %d"

I am new to gnuplot so i would prefer to be able to write one octave.m
script to create my plot. Any suggestions or links would be greatly
appreciated.

Dan
running: octave-3.1.50, Graphics backend: gnuplot
Windows XP SP2