Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:09:11 +0200

lør, 13 09 2008 kl. 19:59 +0200, skrev Francesco Potorti`:
> >Have you tried the 'video' package from Octave-Forge? I've never used
> >it, but I'm under the impression that it works with fairly recent
> >versions of ffmpeg.
>
> I use Debian, but I see no octave-video package...

I don't know the details about debian packages, so I can't really
comment here.

> >Whenever I need to make animations, I use 'print' to generate a file for
> >each frame in the animation. Then I call ffmpeg from the shell to
> >generate a video from these files. Not an elegant solution, but it
> >works...
>
> Yes, I am writing a function to manage this more generally.  To speed up
> my work, would you please tell me what kind of output you choose for
> print() and what options you give to ffmpeg?

I produce eps files with print because then I can change the output
resolution later if I have to. I then convert these to pixel based
images, and generate movies from these. I use the following shell script
for this (needs to be modified for specific examples -- not pretty, I
know):

#!/bin/sh
for i in `seq 1 316`; do
  if [ ! -e movie$i.eps ]; then
    cp movie20.eps movie$i.eps;
  fi
  convert -density 196   movie$i.eps'[0]' -resample 256 -trim +repage \
  -bordercolor white -border 3 movie$i.png;
done;

ffmpeg -r 5 -b 1800 -i movie%d.png $1.mp4

Søren