Problem linking libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problem linking libraries
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:30:19 -0400

On 10-Sep-2008, Bergeron, William wrote:

| I have been able to run the configure for Octave successfully and have
| complied all the required libraries (BLAS, FFTW, AMD, etc) but I have been
| unable to figure out how to link them.  I tried all the standard stuf, like
| adding the path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and putting the libraries in the
| standard path, as well as several connotations (see below) of config
| switches to try and get it to see the files but with no luck. The typical
| output is listed below.
|
| The source, libs, and includes are in /usr/local/src, lib, include
| respectively. The OS is CetOS5 on and x86_64 architecture.
|
| What do I need to configure to allow Octave to recognize the missing
| libraries. All of which exist on the system.
|
| Info:
|
| Switch attempts:

| ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -fPIC" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include
| -fPIC" --prefix=/share/apps --with-blas='-lmkl' --with-lapack='-lmkl_lapack'

This looks closest to right if your extra libraries are installed in
/usr/local/lib and the corresponding headers are installed in
/usr/local/include.  I don't think you should have to add -fPIC to
LDFALGS or CPPFLAGS.

If libraries are not found, the place to look for clues is config.log.

Are there no binary packages for most of these components for your OS?

jwe