Re: Windows install

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Windows install
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:47:14 -0400

On Tuesday, September 09, 2008, at 01:41PM, "Ben Abbott" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tuesday, September 09, 2008, at 12:36PM, "Thomas L. Scofield"
><address@hidden> wrote:
>> Here is what one student
>>wrote:
>>
>>      I did end up completing the install last night with every
>>option available (I was not able
>>      to select some as they were blocked/would not allow a 'check
>>mark').  I then restarted
>>      my computer and tried the Octave program.  When opening, all
>>that was displayed were
>>      some lines of command/information regarding the program.  I hit
>>enter, and tried typing
>>      but only some type of source code involving Octave 3.0.1 appeared.
>>

>My wild guess is that everything is working as expected and that the student
>in question is unaccustomed to a command line program.
>
>Perhaps a picture showing "only some type of source code involving Octave
>3.0.1" would help clarify?
>
>Ben

Thomas,

Perhaps you might check with your student if what is below is what qualifies as
"some type of source code"?

GNU Octave, version 3.0.1
Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "powerpc-apple-darwin9.4.0".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1>