Problems setting up Xemacs Octave-mode

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Problems setting up Xemacs Octave-mode
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:01:49 +1000

Hullo All,
I guess there must be specific help about this somewhere, but blowed if I can find anything that appears suitable for my situation.
I found the following ...

"The Emacs package EOS consists of the three files `octave-mod.el', `octave-inf.el', and `octave-hlp.el'. These files, or better yet their byte-compiled versions, should be somewhere in your Emacs load-path. If you have GNU Emacs with a version number at least as high as 19.35, you are all set up, because EOS is respectively will be part of GNU Emacs as of version 19.35. Otherwise, copy the three files from the `emacs' subdirectory of the Octave distribution to a place where Emacs can find them (this depends on how your Emacs was installed). Byte-compile them for speed if you want."

Problem is that I don't seem to have an 'emacs' subdir in my Octave distribution, and have only been able to find 'octave-mod.el', no sign anywhere of the Emacs package EOS, or at least nowhere my searches have taken me.

Octave has been installed from a Fedora 8 x86_64 rpm (Fedora updates repository), and it is installed in '/usr/share/octave' which is bereft of an 'emacs' subdir, so unable to use the above instructions.

I did find advice on mods to make to my '.emacs' file in order to invoke octave mode, and placed 'octave-mod.el' my '/usr/share/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/' dir and added suggested mods...

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

to my '/home/terry/.xemacs/custom.el' file, but when I load a 'xxx.m' file into xemacs it doesn't understand the mode and issues the following error...

'error in file mode specification: wrong number of arguments: define-abbrev, 6'

So, I obviously have some/all things wrong.

If anyone is successfully running octave mode using Xemacs on Fedora 8, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell